Forest Schools and Outdoor Learning
We are very fortunate to have wonderful school grounds, including fairly extensive wildlife areas. We promote the use of this space for outdoor learning, gardening and Forest Schools.
Our Forest School sessions are delivered internally, rather than bringing in outside companies. They are planned and led by our own Mrs Ashton. Mrs Ashton is fully qualified and passionate about learning outside the classroom. Here she is pouring out some hot chocolate during a recent session!
Forest School is unique in its reach, delivery and effect. These six principles that we strive to follow in our Forest school are:
- Forest School is a long-term process of regular sessions, rather than one-off or infrequent visits; the cycle of planning, observation, adaptation and review links each session.
- Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a lifelong relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
- Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners, who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.